Thursday, July 12, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey


Fifty Shades of Grey is so hot right now!   

Critics and talk shows are buzzing about it, T-shirts and sweat pants are quoting it, on Pinterest they are pinning it and Tweeters are hashtagging it.  There are websites for daydreaming, speculating and voting, who will play the characters in the movie.  I just loaned my copy of the first book in the series to my oldest daughter, who three weeks ago wasn't interested in reading it, but now has decided to see what all the hype is about.

 I haven't gotten around to buying the second and third books yet.  I will.  But this time I will get them on my Kindle.  I admit I was a little very self-conscious about whipping the book out to read anywhere public (at the park) or even semi-public (in my car).  Heck, I was self-conscious in my own bedroom.  I don't mind acknowledging that I have read the first book and I don't hesitate talking about it, I just don't want anyone watching me read them for the same reason I don't play poker, either.

Before reading this book, I couldn't tell you how many times I bit my lip and rolled my eyes in a week, I have teenagers, it's a knee jerk reflex.  Now suddenly, surrounded by my fellow Walmart shoppers, I'm acutely aware that I may have just given the guy with the tousled hair, twitchy palms right there in the checkout line, all because I rolled my eyes at him when we realize the person ahead of us has way too many items for the 20 item fast lane we are in.  At Walgreens, I couldn't decide which hair color would really cover the grey, I mean gray (I get confused now).  So I read the labels biting my lip a little because that helps when I squint to read that small print they put on the side of the box of hair color.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw a guy with "his pants doing that hanging from the hips thing" staring at me.  I watched him as he headed straight for the condoms.  "My inner goddess is doing the merengue with some salsa moves", all the while "my subconscious purses her lips and mouths the word 'ho', 'I ignore her."

I find myself noticing the wrinkles in a man's necktie, he has copper in his hair and he just caught me checking him out.  So I "flush crimson":  It's probably a hot flash but I want to believe it's my innocence leaking out a little at a time, leaving me a darker shade of grey.

Laters baby

No comments:

Post a Comment